The Very Introduction to Medieval Lithuania

Hello!

This blog was inspired by a MOOC that I took on Coursera. I did a course called "Deciphering Secrets: The Illuminated Manuscripts of Medieval Europe". I have been an avid traveler and a passionate tourist guide for a long time and the fact that I have noticed is this: information about my country, Lithuania, in English is very limited, fragmentary, inaccurate and insufficient. I hope to fill in some empty spaces of the Lithuanian history for the Internet community. To be honest, Middle Ages aren't my favourite historical period (I am a great fan of Baroque, though I admit its limitations) but the lack of information in English about my country will be my guiding and driving force.

P1560375
Fragment of Flamboyant Gothic, Church of St. Anne, Vilnius, Lithuania.

My educational background is in the English philology and teaching and in 2009 I became a certified tourist guide in Lithuania. As you can see, I am not a historian of any kind but the reason I am starting this blog is this: history is not an exact science. And as it happens, there is a lot of interpretation and propaganda in terms of modern politics. The topics I am going to discuss are going to be related (but not limited) to:
  • archaeology
  • architecture
  • art
  • trade
  • culture
  • people, especially women
  • religion
  • nature
  • politics, where relevant
The most common dating of the Middle Ages in Europe is roughly 500-1500 and I will try to fit my posts in this generally accepted time period. If you have any specific topic you want me to address or if you have any comments, feel free to get in touch by email: elepranaityte (eta sign) gmail.com 

Take care and come back soon!

Comments